I'd rather be heard...

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Kindness is Not Weakness

When I was in elementary school I used to sometimes hide my book fair packets and read them over and over. I did this because I loved books and knew my mom would buy me a bunch. I didn't want her to waste her money on that. Once we had a book fair at the same time as the bake sale. Mom knew and sent me to school with a check to buy a few. A girl in my class (Kristin) was crying because her mom wouldn't give her any money for anything and she wanted a cupcake. I used the money mom gave me to buy the entire box of cupcakes, gave her a couple, and started handing them out. I bought enough for my entire grade but didn't get one myself. I used the remaining 50 cents to buy a bookmark. I was really worried about what my mom would say since I used the money for something else. When the teacher told her what I did I was really nervous. I just couldn't stand seeing someone cry over a cupcake when I had the power to change that. I don't think anyone even thanked me, actually. For the longest time whenever my mom told that story to close friends and laughed I was so embarrassed. I felt like I showed weakness and that was scary. Now that I look back I've decided not to be embarrassed. Kindness is not weakness, it is strength. Being selfless isn't a flaw, it's courage. I share this with you today so that you know that I'm kind, not a pushover. There is a difference. Don't think you can get anything out of me, but know that if you really need something I will never avert my eyes and ignore you. I've never been that type of person. I won't be ashamed of a soft heart any longer.


P.S. I always placed first in spelling and the prize was a free book. Karma.

No comments: